Monday, July 30, 2012

Same-gender covenant reflects the compassion of Jesus Christ

A TV reporter recently interviewed me about the General Convention's approval of a liturgy for the blessing of a life-long, same-gender covenant. It is a covenant, a sacred agreement and relationship, and not Christian marriage.

A clergy colleague characterized my position as "fence-sitting." I suppose it was.

But when it comes to compassion, I am not sitting on any fence. I want to be on the side of the compassionate Christ.

A couple of Sundays ago, I preached about the compassion of Jesus and  how his compassion, in my view, related directly to the issue of life-long, same-gender covenants.

I said in my sermon that I saw the Episcopal Church responding to reality--that some people are oriented toward people of the same gender--and that this covenant, while not the marriage rite that many people in the church seek, is a compassionate response of the church to the needs of others.

I also said I thought that if Christians err, and that includes the church as an institution, we should always err on the side of compassion. I see Jesus doing that all the time in the gospels, always putting the needs of people before the insitution and the law.

I am proud to be a member of a church that seeks to show Christ's compassion to all people. Regardless. Any other church would be too small for me and a lot of other people.

You can find my sermon, both in manuscript and audio forms, at the church web site, http://www.christepiscopalchurch.com/.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this insightful reflection. Very much needed, especially when fanatic practices narrow more and more the compassion and loving that Jesus taught us.

    Doris

    ReplyDelete

I've expressed my thoughts. Now, express yours. Thanks.