Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Daily God consciousness

It's easy enough to do: save one's time with God for Sundays, if even then.

And that's too bad, for in doing so, we're missing out on God's second-by-second presence in our lives.

God, of course, is everywhere--not just in a church building's sacred space wherein God makes God's presence known to us in Word, Sacrament, and blessed community. Remember, Jesus says in the gospel--just this past Sunday, in fact--that, "When two or three are gathered together in my name, I am among them."

And the way to discover the everywhere-ness of God, as it were, is to practice mindfulness of God.

Try this for a day: in every task, however ordinary, offer it to God: when you're cutting the lawn, washing the dishes, writing a friend or a blog entry, walking or running or cycling, ask God to be part of that experience.

The monks at my favorite retreat site, the Trappist monastery of Gethsemani in Kentucky, pray as they work, "All for Thee."

In doing so, you'll further your consciousness of God, that second-by-second encounter with God. You'll discover God's presence with you everywhere and always, and not just on Sunday at church.

Indeed, with a consciousness overflowing with God's daily presence, you'll want to be in church and with God all the more.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful reflection, Father Ken. Life feels meaningful when we are more aware of God's presence every day, everywhere.

    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely a needed message and one I've also learned and witnessed at a monastery. My visits to Assumption Abbey have shown me the importance of this monastic value, as I try to bring it home and apply it to my own life. Gotta love them Trappists.

    ReplyDelete

I've expressed my thoughts. Now, express yours. Thanks.